Illinois Association for Gifted Children

IAGC QUESTION OF THE MONTH-OCTOBER, 2019: How Can I Make a Difference to Support Advanced Learners at My Child's School?

10/29/2019 5:56 AM | Anonymous member

How can I make a difference to support advanced learners at my child’s school?

Parent advocacy can have many positive results when it comes to serving the needs of gifted children.

To learn about gifted programming and provide input at your child’s school, start by reaching out to your child’s teacher and/or building principal. You may wish to share resources about current policies and laws such as the Illinois Acceleration Act and the Report Card Act. The IAGC also provides a model acceleration policy to guide school districts with respect to the Acceleration Act. Further information can be found on the Illinois Association of Gifted Students website

Become involved with the IAGC and our advocacy efforts to support advanced learners in Illinois. To find out more about ways to advocate in Illinois, visit our Policy and Advocacy Overview webpage.

When parents who share a common concern work and speak with one voice, advocacy becomes even more effective. For a useful resource, you may wish to access the free e-book from the NAGC and Prufrock Press,The National Association for Gifted Children Starting and Sustaining a Parent Group to Support Gifted Children.

Contact Us:

Illinois Association for Gifted Children

1500 Sullivan Road
Aurora, IL 60506

Ph: 630-907-5047
Fax: 630-907-5976

Email us at:

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software