Legislation, Acceleration, and Accountability: What Administrators Need to Know
(Online) Administrator Academy #3987
This Administrators Academy is targeted to district superintendents and district level administrators. It also presents useful information for school principals and assistant principals.
This course will increase awareness and knowledge about acceleration, an evidence-based intervention for meeting the needs of high-ability learners. Participants will also gain resources and knowledge to implement, review, and improve policies to support equity, inclusion and access and to meet the needs of high-ability learners.
The course reviews current policy and legislation pertaining to acceleration. Participants will align their district acceleration policies with the Illinois Accelerated Placement Act that requires districts to have a policy that allows for early entrance to kindergarten and first grade, whole-grade acceleration, and subject acceleration. Participants will be able to:
(1) understand the legal, equity, and policy implications with respect to meeting the needs of high-ability learners;
(2) understand the Accelerated Placement Act and its purpose;
(3) understand the components of model acceleration policies and identify supporting resources;
(4) evaluate district/school acceleration policy in accordance with the Accelerated Placement Act and equitable, evidence-based practices; and
(5) synthesize information and develop or improve the district plan to align district policy with the Accelerated Placement Act and effectively meet the needs of high-ability learners, including those from special needs and underserved populations.
Reporting requirements for IL School Report Card data and ESSA related to high ability learners will also be addressed.
Academy Credit is available upon completion of application dissemination assignment.
Alternatively, 5.25 PD hours are available with required attendance documentation and evaluation form.
AA #3987 will require at least 7 registrants by June 1, 2023 to run.