Legislation, Acceleration, and Accountability: What Administrators Need to Know
Administrator Academy #3011 (New)
This Administrators Academy is targeted to district superintendents and district level administrators. This course will increase awareness and knowledge about acceleration, an evidence-based intervention for meeting the needs of high-ability learners. The course reviews policy and legislation pertaining to acceleration. Participants will align their district acceleration policies with the Illinois Accelerated Placement Act that requires districts to have a policy that allows for early entrance to kindergarten and first grade, whole-grade acceleration, and subject acceleration. Participants will also gain resources and knowledge to implement, review, and improve policies to meet the needs of high-ability learners.
Participants will be able to
(1) understand the legal, equity, and policy implications with respect to meeting the needs of high-ability learners;
(2) understand the Accelerated Placement Act and its purpose;
(3) understand the components of model acceleration policies and identify supporting resources;
(4) evaluate district/school acceleration policy in accordance with the Accelerated Placement Act and equitable, evidence-based practices; and
(5) synthesize information and develop or improve the district plan to align district policy with the Accelerated Placement Act and effectively meet the needs of high-ability learners, including those from special needs and underserved populations.
Reporting requirements for IL School Report Card data and ESSA related to high ability learners will also be addressed.
*Newly developed Academy; pending approval.