Acceleration and the Gifted Child:
Submitted by Kathy Green, IAGC Member
In late October, 2017 I interviewed one of my students, H., about her experiences with acceleration during her years in public school. She has studied oboe privately with me for the past 3 years and, as a result of this ongoing relationship, is quite comfortable and honest when talking about her life and experiences.
1. What kinds of schools have you attended?
2. When were you aware that a change needed to happen with your schooling?
3. How many times and in how many ways have you been accelerated?
4. What were your concerns/fears?
5. Did any of those concerns/fears materialize?
6. How did your friend group and age-peers react to your new situation?
7. How did your brother react to having you in the same grade?
8. Looking back, what have been the benefits and disadvantages?
9. What kind of transition support did you receive from the school?
10. In summary, what would you like the people reading this article to remember and learn from your experience with acceleration?
Follow the link to learn more about Acceleration in Illinois